*** Enrolment is open now! Term begins on Monday, January 7th 2019. ***
The Location Independent Tech School is designed for ‘normal’ (read: non-techy!) folk who want to feel a lot more comfortable, competent and confident with online technology than they currently do.
You’ll gain the skills you need to do your own thing online – whether that’s building an online business, adding an online element to an existing ‘offline’ business or simply learning something new because you want to.
Who This Is For…
Let me ask you a few questions…Did you know?
- You can’t just take any picture you find online and use it however you want, unless you want to risk being sued for copyright infringement.
- You don’t need expensive software and a degree in technology to edit and enhance your own photos.
- There’s an online version of Word that allows you to create and access your documents and edit them from any computer, anywhere as long as you can get online (there’s the same for Excel and Powerpoint too).
- It can take just one single click to install a basic website – ZERO coding skills required.
While becoming a total tech geek may not be top of your bucket list (is it even on it at all?!), wouldn’t you find it satisfying to be able to, say, build your own website and have it look half decent? Let me show you how that is far more within your reach than you likely thought possible…
The Location Independent Tech School is for you if you want to learn how to use online technology tools to create more freedom in your life and open up a world of working opportunities you never knew existed.
We run this school for folk like you, who:
- May be a little (or a lot!) scared of technology, and already feel stupid, clueless and behind-the-times (and yet there’s a spark of curiosity there).
- Don’t want to be left behind when it comes to online technology, what it can do and how it works.
- Suspect that you’re not using online tools to anywhere near their full potential.
- Want to use the power of the online world to create something more for yourself, career- and business-wise.
- Are keen to explore the global opportunities of working online, beyond your local borders.
Joining the Location Independent Tech School is most definitely for you if:
- You’re ready to learn something new.
- You enjoy accomplishing something you never thought you could (building your own website, for example!).
- You’d like to experience a greater feeling of confidence and competence around technology.
- You’re ready to get over your fears, have your hand held, and learn!
- You aren’t afraid to ask questions – there are no stupid questions – to get to grips with something that feels unfamiliar and scary.
What You’ll Learn…
The goal of the Tech School is to give you the confidence to choose and use online technology, yourself.
We will not only show you how to do what you need to do, we’ll share the why behind our advice, recommendations and choices so you learn how to choose the right tools for you, and then get the most out of them.
For example, we won’t just show you how to design, build and customise a WordPress website, we’ll show you why we recommend placing things in specific positions on your website (for usability), why we recommend WordPress, and why we recommend using the settings we use. And we won’t just show you how to set up your own email marketing list and send out a regular newsletter, we’ll share why you might want to, the different ways you can do it and how to decide what will work best for you.
The Skills You’ll Learn…
We’ve created a modular curriculum that focuses on you completing foundational tasks to help you make the online world work better for you (and your business). You’ll learn the skills and knowledge you need to complete the following key tasks – broken down step by step:
- Understand the basic foundations (domain names, website hosting and emails).
- Set up and use an online equivalent of Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Create your own graphics to use as logos, headers, banners, social media images and more.
- Set up your own self-hosted WordPress website (or blog), from scratch.
- Customise your WordPress website (or blog).
- Keep your website secure + learn how to make it do more cool stuff (e.g. add a shop, turn it into a membership site and more).
- Set up an email marketing list so you can send your own newsletters.
- Make the most out of the main social media platforms, for personal and professional use.
You will learn how to get to grips with the following online tools and services:
- Domain registration service (Namecheap)
- Website hosting
- Google’s suite of tools – Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar
- Picmonkey and Canva
- Email marketing services, primarily Mailchimp
- Social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Social media automation services (e.g. Buffer, Hootsuite, PostPlanner)
The Teaching & Support Methods We Use…
To ensure you have access to the tools and support you need to complete the tasks and enhance your online technology skills, we use the following teaching and support methods:
- Video Tutorials – you’ll learn by watching and doing; we will show you how to complete each task, step by step, with easy-to-follow video tutorials which you can access online, from anywhere, and stop/start/pause as you need.
- ‘Live’ Office Hours – you have access to weekly office hours, where you can submit your questions throughout the week, and we’ll answer them in a live webinar. If you can’t join us live, you’ll be able to watch a recording of each webinar, or request that we provide a text-based answer if you prefer.
- Online Support Classroom – typically if one person has a question or challenge, others have the same one too. You’ll be invited to join our online classroom, where you can meet, get and give support from fellow learners, as well as access additional resources we’ll share with everyone.
A new module will be released each month – there are 8 modules in total – and to give you plenty of time to complete each task, you’ll receive 12 month’s access to office hours and the online support classroom.
Meet Your Teacher…
You’ll primarily be taught by me, Lea Woodward. I’ve run my own online business (in various incarnations) since 2006. These have included an online training school, called Startup Training School, which was very similar to this and an online VA & Tech Support desk, called Rescue Desk, to help fellow small business owners with their online technology.
In 2012, I ran an event called 1K in 1 Day with the goal of helping 1,000 women set up their own WordPress website – with a global webinar, online tech support (which was largely me and my VA – virtual assistant – at the time) and a network of local events run by supporters for women to pop along to participate (you can see the event that AWeber, the email marketing company and one of our sponsors for the day, held here). We didn’t quite reach 1,000 women but we did have around 600 participants which was quite a result 🙂
I’m a total tech geek – I love learning about technology and have largely taught myself all the online tech I know today, after over a decade of playing, learning, breaking and experimenting with anything that sounded interesting or useful!
And while you may not be quite as enthusiastic about online technology as I am, I will still encourage you to take a look, play a little, overcome your fears and realise that it’s probably not going to blow up in your face if you press the wrong button, there probably is a way back to undo what you’ve done or, in the absolute worst case scenario, you may have to start again! And even if that’s the case, you’ll have me on your side, walking you through it in the videos, at office hours or in the online support classroom 🙂 You can read more about my own journey to location independence here.
Your Questions Answered…
How techy do I need to be to join?
Our curriculum and approach is designed for total beginners; we assume no prior knowledge of any of the tools we’ll be teaching you about and will walk through everything you need to know, from start to finish, with a detailed explanation of what we’re doing, why we’re doing it and how to do it.
How do I access the modules and support channels?
You’ll be invited to register right here on our website which is where you’ll be able to access the module content and video tutorials, as they become available to you. We will also send you reminder emails about the office hours, and you’ll be invited to join our online support classroom using Slack – we’ll show you how to use this so you’ll be learning another useful tool here – which is where we’ll also communicate with you about office hours, share additional resources and more.
Why do we have to pay for 12 months if there are only 8 tasks/modules?
Some of the modules and tasks are longer and more complex than others, and 12 months is the right duration to give you plenty of time to complete all the tasks without feeling rushed or pressured, when you still have day-to-day life to contend with!
How long will it take me to complete each task?
Some of the tasks are much quicker than others – registering your own domain name, for example, will take you far, far less time than building your own website – and we know that everyone works at their own pace. If you follow along and complete your tasks as you watch the videos, you’ll likely be able to complete each task within a month, though you may choose and want to spend more time on some of them, without feeling rushed.
Is there a limit to the number of questions I can ask?
Not at all; having run an online tech training school previously and run an online tech support desk for years, we have heard almost every question and request before (there are no stupid questions), and we’re extremely used to working with folk who have no tech knowledge and find it scary!
We are patient, gentle, kind and you won’t just be left on your own with a video and nowhere to come for help if you get stuck. You can ask as many or as few questions as you need, and as long as you’re learning, we’ll be happy!
What happens after 12 months?
After 12 months, your subscription payments will end. You will retain access to the videos for as long as you choose, but you will no longer be able to access the LIVE office hours or our online support classroom. If you would like to retain access to both of these, there’s an option to continue with a monthly subscription (of £10/month) for ongoing access to this support.
How do I know if you’re any good!?
I founded a similar ‘school’ several years ago, called Startup Training School. I also ran an online tech support desk, with a team of 4, called the Rescue Desk, to provide online tech support to solo business owners (one of my team members subsequently used her experience with the Rescue Desk to get a job with Automattic – the company behind WordPress – so we must have been doing something right!).
Below is what folk have previously said about their experience with online technology and my former projects…
What People Have Said Previously…
“Lea is really onto something with Startup Training School. The Foundation course is thoughtfully laid out and designed to make what can be an overwhelming learning curve not so steep.
Lea is very generous in the live sessions, sharing openly what has and hasn’t worked throughout her years of experience in running multiple businesses. She aims for maximum efficiency and doesn’t waste students’ time. The level of personal attention I received was invaluable!
I definitely recommend the school to anyone who wants to learn the nitty-gritty bootstrapping skills of getting a business online.”
– Ruth Hartmann, USA
“Startup Training School has been invaluable in the process of building my website – every time I had a question about anything related to bringing a business online I only had to ask and the answer came usually within minutes. It has been magic!
The training videos are clear, short enough that I don’t feel overwhelmed with the information and complete enough that it gets things right the first time. It feels a bit like having Lea sitting beside me at the desk.”
– Catherine CS, Canada
“When I launched my business last year, I decided to go all out with an online marketing plan to reach my market. I thought of delegating the website design to an outside agency. The costs would have been thousands of dollars in a start up year. I tried to learn how to create websites alone and with online materials. The cost in time was frustrating.
Then one day, a noted web entrepreneur suggested I register for one of Lea’s online classes. The formula was perfect. I enjoyed the course so much that I registered for the inaugural Startup Training School Course. The future of business is evolving so rapidly and technical skills are a must to stay relevant tomorrow. As a lawyer, I now know to actively manage my online marketing. If you know this as well, look no further than StartUp Training School to get ahead.“
– Suzanne Leclair, USA
I knew just enough about building a WordPress website to get myself in trouble! Since I’m building a business on a shoestring budget, I figured I could read articles and figure out how to do my own site. But the pitfalls of building a website from scratch were many – and I was exhausting my resources trying to find solutions. The result was hours wasted and a website that fell flat and lacked the design elements I wanted.
Enter Startup Training School. A godsend that offered a solution to all of my tech conundrums!
The training materials are clear and concise, but best of all is the support I received when stuck on some little problem. Those ‘little’ problems can hold you up for hours if you don’t have the skills and experience in website design!
Lea is brilliant, and she really knows her stuff!
Without Startup Training School I would have had to resort to shelling out thousands of dollars for someone else to create the site I envisioned. And then I wouldn’t have known how to make updates and changes.
– Sarah O’Leary, USA
*** Enrolment is open now! Term begins on Monday, January 7th 2019. ***
> Unlock a new module each month.
> ONE year’s access to LIVE office hours.
> ONE year’s access to the online support classroom.
12 installments of £25.