I’m Lea Woodward – an Intuitive Strategist and Operational Troubleshooter and founder of the Location Independent remote working consulting agency.
I help business owners see, think and act more strategically – to be less reactive and more proactive in how they guide their company, as well as identifying and resolving the things currently causing the most pain and stunting potential growth.
I started my career as a management consultant for Accenture – specialising in CRM for the high tech and communications industry – and in 2004 branched out on my own. I have run multiple businesses and supported 100s of fellow remote business owners over the past decade.
I first coined the term ‘location independent’ in 2007 to describe the way of life I and my then-husband had inadvertently created for ourselves as we travelled the world for several years, running a web design & development consultancy (and numerous other incarnations of an online business).
Since then, location independence has become a growing and popular lifestyle for many aspiring digital nomads, worldschooling families and adventurous folk looking for an unconventional way of life, and this venture – in some of its former guises – has appeared in numerous media outlets.
The rise of remote working is a trend, I believe, that is still in its infancy and is only going to become more and more prevalent. Are you ready for it?
Location Independent In The Media
Newspapers & Magazines
Lea has been interviewed, featured and mentioned in a number of global media outlets over the past few years, including:
- Financial Times ~ Nomads of the working world.
- BBC Click ~ Technology allows digital nomads to work anywhere.
- BBC Fast:Track ~ Best Of The Web.
- The Guardian, Careers, UK ~ Work’s a beach: meet the digital nomads making the world their office.
- The Guardian, Travel, UK ~ The escapees travelling the world while working online.
- The Guardian, Life & Style, UK ~ This column will change your life: 9-to-5 or free and easy?
- La Repubblica, Italy ~ Tienila d’occhio: Lea Woodward and Bauman, un mondo senza regole: “senza la solidarietà, la libertà è un’illusione”.
- China Trends magazine, China ~ See the article here.
- Cosmopolitan magazine, Italy & Sweden ~ See the Swedish article here.
- The Sydney Morning Herald & The Daily Telegraph, Australia
Lea has been featured, interviewed, listed or profiled in many online media outlets:
- She wrote about juggling motherhood and nomadic entrepreneurship here on Forbes.
- She wrote about how to launch a website with a fanfare (vs. deafening silence!) here on Forbes.
- She wrote about going from consulting to entrepreneurship in Time.
- She was interviewed about being a domain name addict (!) for Fast Company.
- She was interviewed about location independence on Mixergy.
- She was featured as one of Forbes’ Thirty Women Entrepreneurs to Follow on Twitter.
- She shared a tip for balancing entrepreneurship & parenthood on Inc.
Lea has also been featured in a number of books including:
- Escape from Cubicle Nation by Pamela Slim
- Screw Work, Let’s Play by John S. Williams
- The 9-to-5 Cure by Kristin Cardinale
- She Takes on the World: A Guide to Being Your Own Boss, Working Happy, and Living on Purpose by Natalie MacNeil
- Be A Free Range Human by Marianne Cantwell
Lea has spoken – virtually and in person – to audiences globally including:
- At the Freshmen Seminar, American College of Management and Technology, Dubrovnik on “The skills that open up doors & opportunities in today’s world”.
- At Hult International Business School, Dubai campus for the “Pocket MBA for Women Who Aspire to Lead” Program.
- Numerous online podcasts and interviews with fellow digital entrepreneurs.